Beckton cheerleaders appeal for votes to gain £10,000 funding
- Credit: Archant
Gymnasts from Ascension Eagles Cheerleaders (AEC) are hoping to win a new award in a championship of a different kind.
The Beckton-based athletes have applied for up to £10,000 in the Aviva Community Fund awards, a national competition in which 800 community projects bid to receive funding from £1,000 to £25,000.
AEC director, and former student, Angela Green is appealing to the Newham community to vote for them.
She says the funds would enable the club to focus on the “education attainment” of its attendees.
She said: “Our club has never been just about teaching physical activity.
You may also want to watch:
“For us the education is also important. We applied to put the money towards the educational attainment of our kids.
“We’ve got a mentoring scheme. We have a school teacher who works with parents. We’re challenging kids to read more.”
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 8 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League
AEC has supported thousands of children over the last 21 years by “not only improving their health but also making better life choices”.
Angela said: “I grew up playing and I’m lucky because I’ve got parents who pushed me and I think that giving local young people more choices is so important.”
The multi award-winning club, which is open to girls and boys from the ages of 5-25, is competing against 229 other projects in its category.
Voting closes on November 18. Finalists will be announced on November 22 and the winners will be delared on January 10.
Click here to place your vote for AEC or to find out more