Beckton celebration of East End gardening talent
The East London Garden Society Flower Show will arrive in Beckton in September to celebrate community gardens with real heart.
Hosted at Newham City Farm and run by Community Links, registration is open and classes are available to join in eight categories, from individual foraging display to children’s classes and baking.
A special category has also been established for Community Gardens to expose homegrown groups to a wider audience and possibly raise funds for their gardens.
The show also aims to represent the diversity of east London under their motto “Planting the Seeds of Cohesion”, gaining the support of East Ham MP Stephen Timms.
Mr Timms said: “We may not be famous for our gardens in east London, but we have some beautiful ones nevertheless - and some fantastic community-minded gardeners.
“I hope the Society will help celebrate them, and bring many people together as it does so.”
At the show on September 15 and 16, awards will be given to the class with the most points in each category and the person collecting the most points will be crowned the Best Gardener for 2012.
- 1 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 2 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 3 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 4 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 9 Report: 'Significant improvement' in Newham's parks
- 10 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
To register or join the East London Garden Society, email email@example.com or contact www.facebook.com/pages/The-East-London-Garden-Society