Beckton Brownies help out at Asda and meet Mayor Robin Wales
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers at Asda received help from an unexpected source this week as members of the Beckton Brownies packed their purchases into bags.
The Brownies were volunteering at the Asda store in Beckton to raise money for their group, which celebrates its 25th anniversary this month.
As shoppers put money in the Brownies’ bags and bins they collected more than £200 towards a disco for the end of July, the last event of their Big Brownie Birthday Challenge.
The girls, aged seven to 10, were surprised themselves when they ran into Sir Robin Wales, the newly re-elected Mayor of Newham, as he was doing some shopping.
Kathleen Thomas, who has run Beckton Brownies for 11 years, said: “We were bag-packing to raise money to support the group when we bumped into the mayor, who was shopping.
You may also want to watch:
“He put some money in their collection bins and said, ‘Well done for what you do’.”
“So many things are so expensive now – people find it very hard. We thought if the girls helped pack up their bags, it would go towards a party for the end of term and help people as they shop as well.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Ms Thomas also thanked the Brownies who took part and the parents who helped out, and said that anyone who wants to get involved should come along to North Beckton Primary School on Thursday evenings.
The Brownies nationally are celebrating their 100th anniversary this year.
For more information visit girlguiding.org.uk/brownies