Beckton Brownies help out at Asda and meet Mayor Robin Wales
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers at Asda received help from an unexpected source this week as members of the Beckton Brownies packed their purchases into bags.
The Brownies were volunteering at the Asda store in Beckton to raise money for their group, which celebrates its 25th anniversary this month.
As shoppers put money in the Brownies’ bags and bins they collected more than £200 towards a disco for the end of July, the last event of their Big Brownie Birthday Challenge.
The girls, aged seven to 10, were surprised themselves when they ran into Sir Robin Wales, the newly re-elected Mayor of Newham, as he was doing some shopping.
Kathleen Thomas, who has run Beckton Brownies for 11 years, said: “We were bag-packing to raise money to support the group when we bumped into the mayor, who was shopping.
You may also want to watch:
“He put some money in their collection bins and said, ‘Well done for what you do’.”
“So many things are so expensive now – people find it very hard. We thought if the girls helped pack up their bags, it would go towards a party for the end of term and help people as they shop as well.”
- 1 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 2 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 3 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 4 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 5 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 6 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 7 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
Ms Thomas also thanked the Brownies who took part and the parents who helped out, and said that anyone who wants to get involved should come along to North Beckton Primary School on Thursday evenings.
The Brownies nationally are celebrating their 100th anniversary this year.
For more information visit girlguiding.org.uk/brownies