Beckton Brownies help out at Asda and meet Mayor Robin Wales
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers at Asda received help from an unexpected source this week as members of the Beckton Brownies packed their purchases into bags.
The Brownies were volunteering at the Asda store in Beckton to raise money for their group, which celebrates its 25th anniversary this month.
As shoppers put money in the Brownies’ bags and bins they collected more than £200 towards a disco for the end of July, the last event of their Big Brownie Birthday Challenge.
The girls, aged seven to 10, were surprised themselves when they ran into Sir Robin Wales, the newly re-elected Mayor of Newham, as he was doing some shopping.
Kathleen Thomas, who has run Beckton Brownies for 11 years, said: “We were bag-packing to raise money to support the group when we bumped into the mayor, who was shopping.
You may also want to watch:
“He put some money in their collection bins and said, ‘Well done for what you do’.”
“So many things are so expensive now – people find it very hard. We thought if the girls helped pack up their bags, it would go towards a party for the end of term and help people as they shop as well.”
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 7 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 10 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
Ms Thomas also thanked the Brownies who took part and the parents who helped out, and said that anyone who wants to get involved should come along to North Beckton Primary School on Thursday evenings.
The Brownies nationally are celebrating their 100th anniversary this year.
For more information visit girlguiding.org.uk/brownies