Beckton brothers victorious at world medieval fighting championships
- Credit: Archant
Two brothers have found fame, a trophy, and marriage representing the UK in an international medieval combat tournament.
When this newspaper last caught up with Alex and Evgeny Olechnovic, they were preparing to take part in The Battle of Nations in the World Full Contact Medieval Fighting Tournament in Montpellier, France.
But the siblings, who moved to Beckton from their native Lithuania seven years ago, helped TeamUK win Best Debut Team against 11 other nations who were entering for the first time.
Alex and Evgeny were even nicknamed the Beckton Brothers by the other fighters.
Streamed live on YouTube, TeamUK fought hard, beating Czech/Solvak Republic, Italy, and Argentina before they were knocked out by reigning world champions Russia in the quarter finals.
To top off their success, Evgeny used his success to propose to his girlfriend - who said yes.
The adventures of TeamUK’s medieval fighting team will be shown in a BBC3 documentary due to be aired later this year.
- 1 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 2 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 3 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 4 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 5 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 7 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 8 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 9 Newham residents urged to shop local on Small Business Saturday
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
TeamUK’s Southern fighters are currently searching for a training space and anyone with ideas can email firstname.lastname@example.org.