Beckton brothers victorious at world medieval fighting championships
- Credit: Archant
Two brothers have found fame, a trophy, and marriage representing the UK in an international medieval combat tournament.
When this newspaper last caught up with Alex and Evgeny Olechnovic, they were preparing to take part in The Battle of Nations in the World Full Contact Medieval Fighting Tournament in Montpellier, France.
But the siblings, who moved to Beckton from their native Lithuania seven years ago, helped TeamUK win Best Debut Team against 11 other nations who were entering for the first time.
Alex and Evgeny were even nicknamed the Beckton Brothers by the other fighters.
Streamed live on YouTube, TeamUK fought hard, beating Czech/Solvak Republic, Italy, and Argentina before they were knocked out by reigning world champions Russia in the quarter finals.
You may also want to watch:
To top off their success, Evgeny used his success to propose to his girlfriend - who said yes.
The adventures of TeamUK’s medieval fighting team will be shown in a BBC3 documentary due to be aired later this year.
- 1 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 2 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 3 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 4 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 5 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 9 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
TeamUK’s Southern fighters are currently searching for a training space and anyone with ideas can email firstname.lastname@example.org.