Battling Orient make their point

O’s off the mark following a stalemate in basement battle

Chesterfield 0 Leyton Orient 0

Orient picked up their first point of the season with a stubborn performance against fellow strugglers Chesterfield.

It was not enough to lift O’s off the foot of the table – but Orient manager Russell Slade was pleased with the point and the first clean sheet of the season.

“We are unbeaten in two games, after our win against Bristol Rovers in the Carling Cup, and it gives us something to build on,” said Slade after the game

The home side had enough chances in the first half to have won it, but O’s defended stubbornly, with goalkeeper Lee Butcher and defender Terrell Forbes, making his first league start, both catching the eye.

With the pressure on both sides, it was Chesterfield that piled on the pressure in the opening stages and Slade’s side had to ride their luck to stay on level terms.

Most Read

An error by Charlie Daniels after just four minutes let Alex Mendy in but Butcher, back in goal following an injury to David Button, did superbly well to slide out and block the effort with his feet.

Craig Westcarr then shot wide as O’s were rocking. But Terrell Forbes, back at the heart of the visiting defence and Ben Chorley were in stubborn form and O’s gradually weathered the storm.

As the half progressed O’s started to get a foothold in the game and a cross from Jamie Cureton found David Mooney, who toe-poked a shot just wide.

Cureton then set up Marc Laird, who could have opened his goal account for the club, but his shot from 14 yards was pushed away by Tommy Lee in the home goal.

But Chesterfield packed a threat on the break and Jack Lester might have done better, but fired over from close range.

As Orient grew in confidence Jimmy Smith headed a corner just over the bar, but the home side finished with a flourish and just before the break Westcarr zipped a free-kick wide, before in stoppage time Ben Chorley somehow scrambled an effort off the line.

After the break Orient came into the game more, but chances were at a premium, as it was a game that neither side could afford to lose.

Smith sent a header just over eight minutes after the restart, while Danny Whitaker went close for the home side with a shot from 25 yards.

However, it was the visitors that had the best chance when Charlie Daniels whipped in a cross and Cox headed just wide.

Chesterfield had Lester stretchered off following a clash with Orient keeper Butcher and he was replaced by Jordan Bowery and it was the home side that almost grabbed it at the finish as substitute Scott Boden twice went close in the last five minutes.

Chesterfield: Lee, Talbot, Ford, Grounds, Smith, Allott, Johnson (Morgan 75 mins), Whitaker, Mendy, Westcarr (Boden 71 mins), Lester (Bowery 81 mins). Subs: Fleming, Holden.

Leyton Orient: Butcher, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Daniels, Smith, Laird (McSweeney 89 mins), Dawson, Cox, Cureton (Tehoue 63 mins), Mooney (Porter 83 mins). Subs: Odubajo, Richardson.

Bookings: Chorley (67 mins foul), Smith (83 mins foul)

Referee: Gary Sutton.