Barts Health reminds Newham patients ‘A&E is only for emergencies’
- Credit: Archant
Newham residents are being reminded that “A&E is for emergencies only” in a campaign to ensure that patients use casualty appropriately.
Barts Health Medical Director Dr Steve Ryan went out on the road to raise awareness about the campaign, “A&E is for emergencies only”.
The campaign is aimed at ensuring people get the best medical treatment at the earliest opportunity, as well as avoiding unnecessary pressure on the Trust’s hospitals.
Information about when to go to A&E will be carried on buses, and in adverts on radio and in local newspapers throughout the Newham area. They will also include details of the alternative locations where people can get appropriate help.
Dr Ryan said: “Our priority is to provide the best possible medical treatment to all our patients. This campaign is about giving people as much information as possible so that they make the right choice when deciding where to go to be treated.”
You may also want to watch:
The campaign explains that a lot of common illnesses can be treated at home using medicine and getting plenty of rest. It advises people to keep common medicines such as paracetamol, indigestion remedies, rehydration mixture and a thermometer in their medicine cabinet at home.
Checking symptoms using the NHS Symptom Checker (www.nhs.uk) is another option if anyone is unsure about what is wrong or what to do next.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 5 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 6 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 7 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 8 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
People are also urged to contact their pharmacies for expert advice about medicines that can help with a lot of common conditions without the need to make an appointment.