Barts Health reminds Newham patients ‘A&E is only for emergencies’
- Credit: Archant
Newham residents are being reminded that “A&E is for emergencies only” in a campaign to ensure that patients use casualty appropriately.
Barts Health Medical Director Dr Steve Ryan went out on the road to raise awareness about the campaign, “A&E is for emergencies only”.
The campaign is aimed at ensuring people get the best medical treatment at the earliest opportunity, as well as avoiding unnecessary pressure on the Trust’s hospitals.
Information about when to go to A&E will be carried on buses, and in adverts on radio and in local newspapers throughout the Newham area. They will also include details of the alternative locations where people can get appropriate help.
Dr Ryan said: “Our priority is to provide the best possible medical treatment to all our patients. This campaign is about giving people as much information as possible so that they make the right choice when deciding where to go to be treated.”
You may also want to watch:
The campaign explains that a lot of common illnesses can be treated at home using medicine and getting plenty of rest. It advises people to keep common medicines such as paracetamol, indigestion remedies, rehydration mixture and a thermometer in their medicine cabinet at home.
Checking symptoms using the NHS Symptom Checker (www.nhs.uk) is another option if anyone is unsure about what is wrong or what to do next.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
People are also urged to contact their pharmacies for expert advice about medicines that can help with a lot of common conditions without the need to make an appointment.