Barts Health announces new chief executive
- Credit: Adam Scot
The trust in charge of Newham University Hospital has announced its new chief executive.
Alwen Williams, who has been interim chief executive of Barts Health NHS Trust since June, was appointed to the post permanently following an open and competitive selection process.
She has been a manager in the NHS since 1980 and has 12 years’ experience of being a chief executive within the organisation.
She said: “The immense scale of what staff at Barts Health do on a day to day basis is truly inspiring and I have been so proud to see some truly excellent care being provided since joining the trust as interim chief executive in June.
“We know that we have improvements to make – our patients deserve safe and compassionate care every single time they come to one of our hospitals or services.
“From meeting many dedicated and committed colleagues in wards and departments over the last few months, it is clear to me that we are determined to make the improvements and we have the skill and capability to do so.”
Ms Williams’ appointment to the trust follows that of new chairman John Bacon in June.
- 1 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 2 Kelman's first goal lifts Leyton Orient to third straight win
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 5 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 6 London among areas where drought is declared
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 9 Two guilty of killing rapper who featured in BBC teen knife crime documentary
- 10 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
He said: “I am personally delighted by this appointment and I would like to congratulate Alwen and wish her every success in the role.
“The trust faces significant challenges in the period ahead but I am confident that, under Alwen’s leadership and with the support of the board, we will make the improvements necessary to deliver consistently safe and compassionate care for all our patients.”
Barths Health runs five hospitals in east London, including Newham University Hospital, providing care for around 2.5million people.