Barts Health announces new chief executive
- Credit: Adam Scot
The trust in charge of Newham University Hospital has announced its new chief executive.
Alwen Williams, who has been interim chief executive of Barts Health NHS Trust since June, was appointed to the post permanently following an open and competitive selection process.
She has been a manager in the NHS since 1980 and has 12 years’ experience of being a chief executive within the organisation.
She said: “The immense scale of what staff at Barts Health do on a day to day basis is truly inspiring and I have been so proud to see some truly excellent care being provided since joining the trust as interim chief executive in June.
“We know that we have improvements to make – our patients deserve safe and compassionate care every single time they come to one of our hospitals or services.
You may also want to watch:
“From meeting many dedicated and committed colleagues in wards and departments over the last few months, it is clear to me that we are determined to make the improvements and we have the skill and capability to do so.”
Ms Williams’ appointment to the trust follows that of new chairman John Bacon in June.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
He said: “I am personally delighted by this appointment and I would like to congratulate Alwen and wish her every success in the role.
“The trust faces significant challenges in the period ahead but I am confident that, under Alwen’s leadership and with the support of the board, we will make the improvements necessary to deliver consistently safe and compassionate care for all our patients.”
Barths Health runs five hospitals in east London, including Newham University Hospital, providing care for around 2.5million people.