Banned whitening products seized by Newham Trading Standards
- Credit: Archant
Banned skin whitening products have been seized by Newham Trading Standards.
The highest level of a potentially lethal banned chemical was found in a beauty product at a store in Upton Park during a London-wide crack down on dangerous skin products.
Newham Trading Standards seized the product, called, Fair & White Gel Crème, from a store, earlier this year.
Tests found it to contain 8.2 per cent of hydroquinone – a toxin that could lead to skin cancer and liver damage.
Hydroquinone was also discovered in products on sale in two other premises in Upton Park and Plaistow.
The council is now considering taking legal action against the store owners and has also requested information about product suppliers so that action can be taken to stop the distribution of these products across the country.
Stores and suppliers can face a £20,000 fine and a 12 month prison sentence for selling these products.
- 1 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 2 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 3 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 4 Clapton microbakery Charles Artisan Bread opens new site in Stratford
- 5 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
- 6 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 7 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 8 Moncur: Leyton Orient is one of best changing rooms I've been in
- 9 Spectators and cyclists treated for injuries after Commonwealth Games crash
- 10 Boys locked up for murdering 14-year-old Fares Maatou
Councillor Ian Corbett, mayoral advisor for environment and leisure, said: “Our residents need the peace of mind that any cosmetic product they buy is safe to use.
“Through the actions of our trading standards team these potentially lethal items have been removed off the shelves of these shops.
“This project is continuing because we have a duty of care to our residents and we will take the necessary steps to protect them from dangerous cosmetic products.”