Last chance to take part in Balaam Leisure Centre consultation
- Credit: Archant
There’s not long left to have your say on the future of Balaam Leisure Centre.
The venue, in Balaam Street, Plaistow, has been closed since December last year when concrete fell from the underside of the training pool through to the basement gym.
Newham Council has already allocated the site for housing development in the Local Plan from 2028/29, and is asking for opinions on what should be done in the meantime.
There are four proposals being consulted on - three of which involve repairs and one which involves permanent closure and demolition. Each of the repair options has an estimated timescale and budget.
Balaam Leisure Centre opened in 1983 and at the time of its closure, had 2,500 members who made around 200,000 visits a year.
You may also want to watch:
The consultation closes on Wednesday, November 27. For more information on the proposals and to have your say, visit newham.gov.uk
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 There's huge belief in the team insists West Ham loanee Jesse Lingard
- 3 Player ratings: Lingard and Bowen guide Hammers back into the top four
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes hailed players in Leicester City victory
- 6 Elections, Ron Dyer, Islamophobia and Covid
- 7 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 8 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced