Athletes to return to Olympic Stadium this summer
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Athletes will be returning to the Olympic Stadium on the anniversary weekend of last year’s Olympic Opening Ceremony.
The London Legacy Development Corporation, overseeing the Olympic Park, and British Athletics, today announced that the 2013 British Athletics London Grand Prix will be coming to the park.
Olympic Gold champions Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis both welcomed the news.
Track and field athlete Mo Farah said: “The atmosphere was electric during the Games, I’ll never forget it, so it’s great that the British fans, and athletes, will get to experience that again so soon after the Games. It’ll be perfect preparation for the World Championships in August.”
Olympic Heptathlon Jessica Ennis said she hoped to take part in the event
in preparation for the World Championships.
The announcement comes just after the Legacy Corporation announced a deal with Live Nation to relocate two of its biggest music festivals from Hyde Park to the Olympic Park this summer, along with plans to stage concerts in the Stadium this summer.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 5 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 6 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 7 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 8 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 Campaigners dress as animals to deliver letters about farm closure