Athletes to return to Olympic Stadium this summer
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Athletes will be returning to the Olympic Stadium on the anniversary weekend of last year’s Olympic Opening Ceremony.
The London Legacy Development Corporation, overseeing the Olympic Park, and British Athletics, today announced that the 2013 British Athletics London Grand Prix will be coming to the park.
Olympic Gold champions Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis both welcomed the news.
Track and field athlete Mo Farah said: “The atmosphere was electric during the Games, I’ll never forget it, so it’s great that the British fans, and athletes, will get to experience that again so soon after the Games. It’ll be perfect preparation for the World Championships in August.”
Olympic Heptathlon Jessica Ennis said she hoped to take part in the event
You may also want to watch:
in preparation for the World Championships.
The announcement comes just after the Legacy Corporation announced a deal with Live Nation to relocate two of its biggest music festivals from Hyde Park to the Olympic Park this summer, along with plans to stage concerts in the Stadium this summer.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 4 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 9 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services