Athletes to return to Olympic Stadium this summer
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Athletes will be returning to the Olympic Stadium on the anniversary weekend of last year’s Olympic Opening Ceremony.
The London Legacy Development Corporation, overseeing the Olympic Park, and British Athletics, today announced that the 2013 British Athletics London Grand Prix will be coming to the park.
Olympic Gold champions Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis both welcomed the news.
Track and field athlete Mo Farah said: “The atmosphere was electric during the Games, I’ll never forget it, so it’s great that the British fans, and athletes, will get to experience that again so soon after the Games. It’ll be perfect preparation for the World Championships in August.”
Olympic Heptathlon Jessica Ennis said she hoped to take part in the event
You may also want to watch:
in preparation for the World Championships.
The announcement comes just after the Legacy Corporation announced a deal with Live Nation to relocate two of its biggest music festivals from Hyde Park to the Olympic Park this summer, along with plans to stage concerts in the Stadium this summer.
- 1 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 6 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 10 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'