Asian shopping centre set to open in Green Street
- Credit: Puja Vedi
Europe’s first major indoor Asian shopping mall is set to open in Green Street.
East Shopping Centre will generate up to 200 new jobs when it opens at the end of October on the site of a former bus depot.
The multi-million pound project will have 35 two-storey units and a 17 unit Souk - a smaller marketplace for retailers - as well as a food court which has space for six businesses and can seat 220 customers.
The project, developed by ACR Investments Ltd, will see the building have eco-friendly features including solar panels, flow restrictors and harvesters, which help save and recycle water.
A spokesman for ACR Investments Ltd said: “We couldn’t be more excited to be making history with East Shopping Centre, being the first development of its kind in Europe.
You may also want to watch:
“The borough of Newham is a wonderful district with so much potential and Green Street is already a major hub for people to shop for clothes, food, accessories and everything in between.
“Our aim is for East Shopping Centre to enhance the street’s appeal and expand on this vibrant shopping destination by attracting new consumers and businesses.”
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
Many of the units have already been taken by clothing, jewellery and accessory companies, but some still remain available for traders.
The centre aims to provide a centralised destination and will have a late closing time to enable people to visit after work.