Objects excavated from below old Boleyn Ground to go on display
PUBLISHED: 12:00 12 January 2019 | UPDATED: 15:08 14 January 2019
Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd
An archaelogical exhibition of objects found while creating the Upton Gardens development is going on display.
The objects come from the medieval and post-medieval period, and provide new information on East Ham’s former residents.
The site, which is now being turned into housing, used to be the Mansion House complex, and included a red-brick building built in the 16th century and a three-storey tower in the gardens.
Its official name was Green Street House, but was nicknamed Boleyn Castle due to its grand facade and potential links to Anne Boleyn, who was thought to have stayed at the house.
The grounds and gardens of Green Street House were rented to West Ham Football Club in 1904 and became the infamous Boleyn Ground. The Mansion House itself was still used, but after bombing in the Second World War, fell into ruin.
Developers Barratt London are now building 842 homes on the site, and during the building process, commercial archaeologists have excavated a number of objects dating back to the original Boleyn Castle.
They’ll go on display on January 19 from 11am-5pm at Katherine Road Community Centre. Archaeology experts will be on hand and the exhibition is free to attend.