Almost 160 penalty notices issued for front garden waste in Newham
- Credit: Archant
Newham Council has issued nearly 160 penalty notices to borough residents in a bid to stop people dumping rubbish in their front gardens.
The local authority targeted garden litterbugs over the past 11 months to crack down on “unsightly” waste, which is attracting mice and rats.
Cllr Desai Unmesh said: “It lowers the tone of the whole street. We’re saying to the people who litter their gardens, ‘This isn’t acceptable and we won’t stand for it’, and will keep fining people until they remove it.
“We are targeting the bad apples and doing this for the whole community.
“Crime and antisocial behaviour in Newham is totally unacceptable. We have a zero tolerance approach to it and will not stand for it in any shape or form.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information on waste and recycling, visit www.newham.gov.uk/YourEnvironment/WasteAndRecycling.htm.
- 1 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 5 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 6 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 8 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 9 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London