All white now? Forest Gate gardener baffled by cucumber
A nurse was alarmed when one of her home-grown cucumbers appeared in her Forest Gate garden looking more white than alright.
The vegetable, usually dark green in colour, looked like it had been dipped in white emulsion when it popped up in
Valerie Stout’s vegetable patch.
Valerie, of Katherine Road, said she and husband, painter and decorator William, did not know whether they could take a bite.
She said: “We normally grow vegetables, this year they’ve been very good.
You may also want to watch:
“But i’ve never seen anything like this before and we’ve been growing them for about 10 years.
I’m hoping its edible because we want to taste it.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
Valerie, who works at Mornington Hall Nursing Home in Manor Park, plans to hold on to it for a lot longer than normal.
“We don’t put anything like pesticides on them,” she added. “We just let them grow naturally.”
But gardening experts said there was nothing amiss with the colour.
Jonathan Lawler, from the Garden Centre in East Ham Market Hall, said white cucumbers were rarely seen but urged vegetable growers not to panic if they saw one.
He said: “They might have bought a packet of seeds where this were mixed in.
“Cucumbers are available in blonde and white varieties.
“They are perfectly normal and edible and look exactly the same on the inside as well.”