All the gen on Adult Learner's Week
GROWN-UPS interested in going back to school have the chance to find out more by going to special events happening during Adult Learner s Week. This year s Adult Learners Week runs from May 9-15, and Birkbeck, University of London will be at events acro
GROWN-UPS interested in going back to school have the chance to find out more by going to special events happening during Adult Learner's Week.
This year's Adult Learners' Week runs from May 9-15, and Birkbeck, University of London will be at events across the capital to raise awareness of part-time higher education.
Birkbeck's Outreach and Widening Participation team are involved in initiatives including free taster sessions in Languages and History, information stands in adult colleges, shopping centres and education and training organisations, and presentations to groups including the London Transport Union and Islington Police.
Annette McCone, Outreach and Widening Participation Officer, Birkbeck, said: "In the midst of a recession, the need for adult learning is more important than ever. Many people will need to think about re-training and re-skilling and our efforts during Adult Learners' Week will be to inform and inspire Londoners. We've seen a huge increase in enquiries recently, showing the desire for part-time, evening university education is very much on the rise. Our last Open Evening achieved record numbers and enquiries are up almost 20 per cent compared to this time last year."
You may also want to watch:
Adult Learners' Week is the UK's largest and longest running festival of learning. It aims to encourage more adults to take part in learning activities and events across England as well as celebrating the outstanding achievements of inspirational learners through the Adult Learners' Week Awards.
Adult Learners' Week information events kick off in Newham on Monday May 11, Information stand at Stratford Shopping Centre, 9am-5pm, Weds may 13, Information stand, Idea Store, Whitechapel, 11am-1pm,Thurs May 14, Information stand, Stratford Library, 3-7pm
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
For more information about Birkbeck's involvement or to register for a taster session email Garmon Ap Garth firstname.lastname@example.org or Annette McCone email@example.com .