All the gen on Adult Learner's Week
GROWN-UPS interested in going back to school have the chance to find out more by going to special events happening during Adult Learner s Week. This year s Adult Learners Week runs from May 9-15, and Birkbeck, University of London will be at events acro
GROWN-UPS interested in going back to school have the chance to find out more by going to special events happening during Adult Learner's Week.
This year's Adult Learners' Week runs from May 9-15, and Birkbeck, University of London will be at events across the capital to raise awareness of part-time higher education.
Birkbeck's Outreach and Widening Participation team are involved in initiatives including free taster sessions in Languages and History, information stands in adult colleges, shopping centres and education and training organisations, and presentations to groups including the London Transport Union and Islington Police.
Annette McCone, Outreach and Widening Participation Officer, Birkbeck, said: "In the midst of a recession, the need for adult learning is more important than ever. Many people will need to think about re-training and re-skilling and our efforts during Adult Learners' Week will be to inform and inspire Londoners. We've seen a huge increase in enquiries recently, showing the desire for part-time, evening university education is very much on the rise. Our last Open Evening achieved record numbers and enquiries are up almost 20 per cent compared to this time last year."
Adult Learners' Week is the UK's largest and longest running festival of learning. It aims to encourage more adults to take part in learning activities and events across England as well as celebrating the outstanding achievements of inspirational learners through the Adult Learners' Week Awards.
Adult Learners' Week information events kick off in Newham on Monday May 11, Information stand at Stratford Shopping Centre, 9am-5pm, Weds may 13, Information stand, Idea Store, Whitechapel, 11am-1pm,Thurs May 14, Information stand, Stratford Library, 3-7pm
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 5 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 9 Retired police boss: Sacking Met officers 'takes too long'
- 10 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
For more information about Birkbeck's involvement or to register for a taster session email Garmon Ap Garth firstname.lastname@example.org or Annette McCone email@example.com .