Airport’s work scheme scores success with 300 Newham jobs
- Credit: Archant
Staff at London City Airport and the East London Business Alliance are celebrating after helping 300 local residents into employment with a scheme launched in 2009.
The milestone makes the Take Off Into Work scheme one of the most successful employment programmes in the borough.
The programme begins with a two week employability training course run by ELBA, Newham Workplace and the airport’s community relations team. Participants then go on to complete a two week work placement at the airport, gaining experience across a range of departments including customer service, retail and car hire.
The scheme runs five times per year, with up to 15 candidates on each course. Application is open to all Newham residents aged over 16 who are not currently in employment or education.
Anupma Majhu, Take Off Into Work Project Manager at ELBA said: “I am delighted to have hit the 300 into work milestone for the programme. The continued success of Take Off Into Work is due to the commitment that London City Airport and its on-site employers have to their local residents. I look forward to growing the project in 2013.”
You may also want to watch:
The next round of the Take Off Into Work employment programme is due to begin on February 25. To apply or for more information contact Anupma Majhu on Anupma.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 2 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 6 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 9 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 10 Falling sign injures four in Upton Park