Air pollution expert brands Silvertown Tunnel plans criminal and unjust
- Credit: submitted
The effects of a new Silvertown Tunnel on families will be “criminal” and “unjust”, according to an expert in air pollution.
Dr Ian Mudway of Kings College London was speaking at a public meeting held by Friends of the Earth last Monday at St Matthias Community Centre in Poplar High Street.
It came after Newham and Greenwich councils launched their Bridge The Gap campaign calling for more river crossings in East London.
The councils are proposing a new tunnel between Silvertown and Greenwich and a new bridge at Gallions Reach retail park.
The councils believe the crossings will provide relief to traffic at the Blackwall Tunnel and support the development of Royal Docks and Greenwich.
You may also want to watch:
But early findings of research carried out at King’s College London suggest poor air quality is reducing the lung capacity of children in London.
The research was carried out at schools in Tower Hamlets and Hackney.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Campaigner Alan Haughton, of Poplar, said: “The huge population of kids in Tower Hamlets are already suffering the effects of the Blackwall Tunnel and the surrounding roads. The ‘Bridge The Gap’ Campaign is so ignorant of the facts it should be rebranded as a ‘Kill the Kids’ Campaign.”
TfL are currently consulting on the creation of a four lane Silvertown Tunnel and a new ferry at Gallions Reach.