Advice sessions in Stratford and Silvertown
Residents struggling with debt, housing and benefits problems can go to a series of advice sessions launched by Newham charity Community Links.
The new sessions are based in two of the charity’s community hubs, on the Rokeby estate in Stratford and at the Asta hub in Silvertown.
Free, confidential advice will be available on a first-come, first-service basis, with no appointment needed. The Rokeby session at 63 Rokeby Street will run from 12.30 – 3.00pm every Tuesday, and the Asta session at 14a Camel Road will be 12.30 – 3.00pm every Thursday. A trained advisor will be on hand to answer any questions, and will be able to refer residents to specialists if necessary.
Community Links will continue to run its main drop-in advice service at 105 Barking Road every Monday to Thursday at 9.00am, as well as evening law sessions at Stratford, and several other specialist projects. But they hope that making general advice available in community centres will make it easier for residents to access early support, before their problems escalate and become very serious.
Sharon Elliott, advice manager said: “We always urge people to seek support as soon as you think you might be getting into difficulty, and not leave it until the last minute. So if you live nearby please do pop in to your local hub and say hello to the centre managers Loreen (Rokeby) or Tracy (Asta) who will be happy to explain more about the sessions.”
You may also want to watch:
The charity is hoping to do the same in its other centres in the borough if the project is successful.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show