Adults in Newham to fight stress with strings
- Credit: Archant
Music will be used to help the mind in a scheme to encourage adults to take up a musical instrument.
Newham Music is kicking off 2016 by offering music lessons to adults at Chobham Academy in Stratford.
The group was awarded Music Education Hub Leader status for Newham by Arts Council England and the Department for Education in 2012.
Newham Music manager for teaching and learning Julie Sharpe thinks learning an instrument has many benefits.
“Learning to play an instrument or sing is fantastic for your brain, wellbeing and confidence as learning music uses more parts of the brain at the same time than any other activity,” she said. “But most importantly learning music is creative, stress-relieving and fun.”
You may also want to watch:
Individual lessons and group lessons are available, with piano, guitar and violin among the instruments being taught.
Lessons will be held from 6pm-9pm on Wednesdays at the school with prices starting at £12 a session.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
More information on the lessons offered is available at bit.ly/1TGRoJ1