750 jobs at �35m Stratford City top store
RETAIL giants John Lewis marked a major milestone in the completion of Westfield Stratford City by moving into their �35 million flagship store.
As an anchor tenant of the �1.5 billion development, the firm will create 750 local jobs at the giant outlet.
John Lewis Retail Dvelopment Manager Samantha Rowntree, said: “The handover is a hugely significant milestone as we look forward to opening next year.
“Our ambition is for John Lewis Stratford to become the cornerstone of wider regeneration in Stratford and Newham and deliver a long-term sustainable legacy.”
The four-storey building, pictured, designed by award-winning architect Crispin Wride, features a distinctive glazed prow. The store will also house two restaurants and provide views of Westfield Stratford City mall, the Olympic Park and City skyline.
Westfield Stratford City, due to open next September, is rapidly taking shape with three-quarters of its store and restaurant space now let.
M&S, Waitrose, Next, Wagamama, Nandos and TGI Friday are among the leading retailers and restaurant chains to have signed up
- 1 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 2 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 3 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 4 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 5 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 6 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 7 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 8 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 9 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 10 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
The 1.9million sq ft centre also includes a 14-screen Vue cinema and hotels.
Michael Gutman, managing director of Westfield UK & Europe, said: “Everything we have learned at Westfield London is being applied to Stratford and we are confident the consumer will be equally delighted with the end product and the experience and the buzz we will create.”