�5,000 for struggling mums in Stratford
Young mothers from Stratford were given a �5,000 boost to see in the New Year with a smile.
Focus E15 Foyer, a large specialist accommodation complex run by East Thames housing association, supports young people aged 16 to 24 including sixteen units for young parents with the help of local charity East Potential.
Contemplating a new year of financial difficulties, the plight of the young families was heard by independent search firm the Blackwood Group who held a charity auction offering items such as days of babysitting, tennis lessons and a tour of the Royal Courts of Justice.
The auction raised �5,073 in total, buying toys for the children, a party for the young mothers and their babies and the rest went towards building opportunities for the disadvantaged, vulnerable and homeless in east London.
Young mum Zainab, pictured, said: “We’re very grateful - they don’t know what this means to us, it’s definitely going to be a happy new year.”
You may also want to watch:
East Thames chief executive June Barnes said: “I’d like thank the Blackwood Group for their continued generosity and support.
“The actions their staff took to raise the funds is admirable and their donation has already made a difference to the service we provide to local young people to enable them to reach their full potential.”
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
[young mum Zainab did not want her surname included]