�33m university project revealed
The design of a �33 million, first-of-its-kind university building planned for Stratford has been revealed.
The joint UEL, University of London and Birkbeck scheme for University Square was launched by London Mayor Boris Johnson at a ceremony attended by Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales at Theatre Royal Stratford East.
Sir Robin said: “We are delighted with this initiative between the two universities.
“This new facility built in Newham will help our residents to develop their skills and careers, while highlighting the borough as a beacon for further education.”
The project, which will provide part-time and full-time study facilities for 3,400 adults, is the first time two higher education institutions have worked together to create a shared building.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Johnson said the scheme would act as a “magnet” for students in East London and “help secure the regeneration” of Stratford for “decades to come”. Designed by Make architects, the five-floor, 8,600 sq m facility, is orientated around a large, light filled atrium, and will house flexible teaching and performance spaces, as well as offices, a reception area, student advice centre, IT helpdesk, cafe and small library.
Building work on the project, which was given planning go ahead in November 2010, will start in July in order to prepare for its launch in autumn 2013.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
Make architect James Taylor said: “There are exciting ambitions for this area of Stratford and we are thrilled to be working on such an important education facility in the locality.
“We’re really looking forward to delivering it.”