Exclusive

Met Police probe Victoria Street, Stratford woman's drug death

An inquest into the death of Aksana Torkliene was opened at East London Coroner's Court <i>(Image: Newsquest)</i>
An inquest into the death of Aksana Torkliene was opened at East London Coroner's Court (Image: Newsquest)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

A police investigation is ongoing into the death of a woman as a result of drugs injected by someone else, an inquest heard. 

Aksana Torkliene, 46, died at her home in Victoria Street, Stratford on June 10. 

An inquest was opened into her death at East London Coroner’s Court on November 10. 

Senior coroner Graeme Irvine said that late in the afternoon Aksana’s husband made a phone call to the emergency services reporting that she was not breathing. 

London Ambulance Service attended and determined that she was dead.

Met Police officers made enquiries at the scene and discovered that Aksana had taken heroin and crack cocaine that morning. 

Their investigation suggested that Aksana had been injected by a third party, the court heard. 

Two men, aged 56 and 61, were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter at the scene. 

A Met Police spokesperson said: “They have since been released on bail as enquiries continue. Officers believe this to be an isolated incident.” 

A forensic post-mortem was ordered, Mr Irvine said the results of the post-mortem had “regrettably” taken some time to get reported back to him. 

The post-mortem gave her cause of death as 1a multi-drug toxicity and 1b injecting drug use. 

A full inquest into her death was provisionally scheduled for May next year. 

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos