Exclusive

Barry Shonibare inquest: Cyclist killed in Wanstead Flats crash

Barry Shonibare died five days later he was knocked off a bike by a Mercedes, a court heard <i>(Image: Met Police)</i>
Barry Shonibare died five days later he was knocked off a bike by a Mercedes, a court heard (Image: Met Police)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

A “genuine, kind and caring” man died after he was knocked off a bike by a Mercedes, an inquest heard. 

Barry Shonibare, 71, died at Royal London Hospital on June 21, five days after he was severely injured in a crash with a Mercedes at Wanstead Flats. 

The collision happened at around 12.20pm on June 16 near the junction of Woodford Road and Capel Road. 

Senior coroner Graeme Irvine opened the inquest into Mr Shonibare’s death at East London Coroner’s Court on Wednesday, November 19. 

He said Mr Shonibare’s last known address was in Forest Gate. 

Mr Irvine said: “The information provided in the death referral was that Mr Shonibare was knocked from an e-bike by a Mercedes in the Wanstead area of east London. He died five days later.” 

Following a post-mortem his cause of death was given as 1a pulmonary thromboembolus, 1b deep veinous thrombosis of the left lower leg and 1c neck injuries sustained in a road traffic collision (cyclist). 

In a statement shortly after his death, Mr Shonibare’s family said: “Barry was much loved, father, brother, uncle and friend. A genuine, kind and caring man. 

“No words will adequately describe the grief of his family or the sudden and tragic loss of his life. He was fit, healthy and thoroughly enjoyed life. 

“Our family, alongside the police, seek justice and resolution.

“No family or individuals should suffer this heartbreak again.” 

The Met Police said the car driver, a 26-year-old man, failed to stop at the scene but returned on foot. 

In June the police force said the driver had been “helping police with their enquiries” and no arrests had been made. 

This paper approached the Met Police for an update on its investigation but were told it would not be releasing any updates at this time. 

Any witnesses or anyone with information, such as dash-cam or mobile phone footage, is asked to please call police on 101 quoting 3399/16JUN. 

A full inquest was provisionally scheduled to take place next year. 

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos