Newham Centre for Mental Health absconder's death being probed

An inquest into the death of Mohammed Elmi was opened at East London Coroner’s Court, Walthamstow <i>(Image: Charles Thomson)</i>
An inquest into the death of Mohammed Elmi was opened at East London Coroner’s Court, Walthamstow (Image: Charles Thomson)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

An inquest will investigate the death of a young man after he absconded from a mental health facility in Plaistow. 

Mohammed Elmi was declared dead on the morning of July 15 after his body was recovered from the River Thames in Wapping. 

An inquest into his death was opened at East London Coroner’s Court, Walthamstow, on Monday, August 11. 

Three days days prior to his body being found, the 25-year-old had absconded from Newham Centre for Mental Health where he had been detained under the Mental Health Act, senior coroner Graeme Irvine said. 

The fact he had absconded was reported to police and he was assessed as a high risk missing person. 

Mr Irvine said a post-mortem gave a cause of death which incorporated immersion in water. 

“It is likely this will have to be an inquest which will be heard in front of a jury, as Mr Elmi died whilst under state detention,” Mr Irvine said. 

He named Mr Elmi’s family and the East London NHS Foundation Trust as interested persons in the inquest.  

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos