Firefighters have issued a warning about lithium batteries after a blaze damaged a house in Plaistow.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) was called to the fire in Plashet Road just before 3.45am on Wednesday (January 10).

The blaze ripped through the first-floor of a mid-terraced house forcing four people to flee the building before firefighters arrived.

A picture taken in the aftermath of the fire shows windows in the house destroyed by the flames, leaving extensive charring around the exterior of the first floor and roof.

There were no reports of any injuries, and firefighters successfully extinguished the blaze just after 5.15am that morning.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by the failure of a lithium battery.

The brigade has now issued a warning about these types of batteries, claiming that they are “susceptible to failure” if incorrect chargers are bought from disreputable sellers.

A spokesperson said: "You should unplug your charger when you have finished using it and we would advise not to leave it unattended or charging while people are asleep. 

“Batteries can also present a fire risk if they’re short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them and store them carefully. 

“Try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as this can increase the chance of damage to cells.” 

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Stratford, Plaistow, East Ham and Leytonstone stations attended the scene in Plashet Road.