24 HMV jobs axed in Canning Town
- Credit: PA
Around 20 people have lost their jobs at an HMV distribution centre in the first tranche of redundancies since the group collapsed into administration.
A total of 24 jobs have been axed at the centre in Bidder St, Canning Town, while 78 jobs are going at the company’s headquarters in Eastcastle Street, near Oxford Circus.
Administrators Deloitte said retail jobs remained unaffected and all stores continue to trade.
Nick Edwards, joint administrator, said the job cuts were a “necessary step in restructuring the business to enhance the prospects of securing its future as a going concern”.
Hopes of a rescue deal for HMV have been raised after restructuring firm Hilco - the group behind HMV Canada - bought the company’s debt last week.
You may also want to watch:
Hilco reportedly wants to rescue about half of the stores in the UK as it looks to repeat the strategy that has seen it turn around HMV’s Canadian arm, which it bought in 2011.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 9 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season