2012 Torch relay names for Newham leg are announced
Named today are most of the 8,000 people luckily enough to have been chosen to carry the Olympic flame during a 70-day, nation-wide tour later this summer.
Locog also revealed for the first time today the route the torch will take through Newham on July 21.
It will head up the A117 Woolwich Manor Way through Beckton before the relay travels through High Street South, High Street North, Plashet Grove and Green Street.
The leg will continue down the A118 Romford Road, past the Stratford Centre in Broadway and then down Stratford High Street.
In total, sixteen people will join the Newham leg of the Torchbearers Relay when crowds can cheer them on as they pound the borough’s streets.
Names so far released are Londoners Samuel Berhanu, 19; Aj Joseph, 50; Alfred Fajardo, 53; Christianba Egere, 15; Drashti Shah, 16; Gemma Law, 20; Jeanette Markwell, 52; Lianne Jameson, 30; Natasha Hart, 45; Paul Johnson, 27 and Ronald Cooper, 84.
They will be joined by Sheikh Sheikh, 16, Chigwell, Essex; Krzysztof Kaczynski, 39, Garwolin and Kacper Bisanz from Katowice, both in Poland, and Ian Campbell, 48, Taplow, Bucks.
- 1 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 2 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 3 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 4 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 5 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 6 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 7 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 8 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 9 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 10 Drone images of Newham tower block blaze
More names are expected to follow.