2012 Torch relay names for Newham leg are announced
Named today are most of the 8,000 people luckily enough to have been chosen to carry the Olympic flame during a 70-day, nation-wide tour later this summer.
Locog also revealed for the first time today the route the torch will take through Newham on July 21.
It will head up the A117 Woolwich Manor Way through Beckton before the relay travels through High Street South, High Street North, Plashet Grove and Green Street.
The leg will continue down the A118 Romford Road, past the Stratford Centre in Broadway and then down Stratford High Street.
In total, sixteen people will join the Newham leg of the Torchbearers Relay when crowds can cheer them on as they pound the borough’s streets.
You may also want to watch:
Names so far released are Londoners Samuel Berhanu, 19; Aj Joseph, 50; Alfred Fajardo, 53; Christianba Egere, 15; Drashti Shah, 16; Gemma Law, 20; Jeanette Markwell, 52; Lianne Jameson, 30; Natasha Hart, 45; Paul Johnson, 27 and Ronald Cooper, 84.
They will be joined by Sheikh Sheikh, 16, Chigwell, Essex; Krzysztof Kaczynski, 39, Garwolin and Kacper Bisanz from Katowice, both in Poland, and Ian Campbell, 48, Taplow, Bucks.
- 1 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 2 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 9 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
More names are expected to follow.