2012 Torch relay names for Newham leg are announced
Named today are most of the 8,000 people luckily enough to have been chosen to carry the Olympic flame during a 70-day, nation-wide tour later this summer.
Locog also revealed for the first time today the route the torch will take through Newham on July 21.
It will head up the A117 Woolwich Manor Way through Beckton before the relay travels through High Street South, High Street North, Plashet Grove and Green Street.
The leg will continue down the A118 Romford Road, past the Stratford Centre in Broadway and then down Stratford High Street.
In total, sixteen people will join the Newham leg of the Torchbearers Relay when crowds can cheer them on as they pound the borough’s streets.
Names so far released are Londoners Samuel Berhanu, 19; Aj Joseph, 50; Alfred Fajardo, 53; Christianba Egere, 15; Drashti Shah, 16; Gemma Law, 20; Jeanette Markwell, 52; Lianne Jameson, 30; Natasha Hart, 45; Paul Johnson, 27 and Ronald Cooper, 84.
They will be joined by Sheikh Sheikh, 16, Chigwell, Essex; Krzysztof Kaczynski, 39, Garwolin and Kacper Bisanz from Katowice, both in Poland, and Ian Campbell, 48, Taplow, Bucks.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 3 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 6 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 7 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 8 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
More names are expected to follow.