2012 Torch relay names for Newham leg are announced
Named today are most of the 8,000 people luckily enough to have been chosen to carry the Olympic flame during a 70-day, nation-wide tour later this summer.
Locog also revealed for the first time today the route the torch will take through Newham on July 21.
It will head up the A117 Woolwich Manor Way through Beckton before the relay travels through High Street South, High Street North, Plashet Grove and Green Street.
The leg will continue down the A118 Romford Road, past the Stratford Centre in Broadway and then down Stratford High Street.
In total, sixteen people will join the Newham leg of the Torchbearers Relay when crowds can cheer them on as they pound the borough’s streets.
You may also want to watch:
Names so far released are Londoners Samuel Berhanu, 19; Aj Joseph, 50; Alfred Fajardo, 53; Christianba Egere, 15; Drashti Shah, 16; Gemma Law, 20; Jeanette Markwell, 52; Lianne Jameson, 30; Natasha Hart, 45; Paul Johnson, 27 and Ronald Cooper, 84.
They will be joined by Sheikh Sheikh, 16, Chigwell, Essex; Krzysztof Kaczynski, 39, Garwolin and Kacper Bisanz from Katowice, both in Poland, and Ian Campbell, 48, Taplow, Bucks.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 West Ham defender Coufal frustrated with Everton defeat
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
More names are expected to follow.