2012 Games Ticketshare scheme to benefit troops
MARKING Armistice Day, Olympic Games organisers have revealed they will be providing up to 10,000 tickets for servicemen and women and their families in 2012
LOCOG also confirmed that its Ticketshare scheme which effectively donates tickets to worthy causes is being extended.
Confirmation of the link up with ‘Tickets for Troops’ follows news that school children across the UK will receive tickets via the London 2012 Get Set Education Programme.
Samantha Cameron, wife to the Prime Minister and Tickets for Troops patron, said: “It is fantastic that so many of our heroic troops will be able to cheer on our sporting heroes at the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games in 2012. I am thrilled that 10,000 troops and their families will be able to enjoy this important national event.”
LOCOG Chairman Sebastian Coe said: “At this time of year it is especially apt that we take time to think of our servicemen and women so I am delighted that the Ticketshare scheme will include them – and their families. The Games are rightly a source of great national pride – as are those who serve in the forces and I look forward to seeing some of them at the Games in the summer of 2012.”
Sports Minister Hugh Robertson added: “I am delighted that some of our forces will be able to attend the Games, given their dedication and commitment to our country. As a former serviceman myself, I know that our troops and their families will really appreciate this opportunity to enjoy the sporting spectacle of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games first hand.”
Tickets for the London 2012 Olympic Games go on sale next March and LOCOG is urging people to register their interest by signing up to the pre-registration scheme at www.tickets.london2012.com.
- 1 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 2 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 3 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 9 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 10 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
All serving members of HM Forces, and all those medically discharged from the Forces since the commencement of military action in Afghanistan in 2001 are eligible to register for tickets with Tickets for Troops via www.ticketsfortroops.org.uk