15 evacuated from Canning Town house blaze
Fifteen people were evacuated from a burning house in Canning Town last night.
The property, in Barking Road, was badly damaged in the blaze.
Crews from Plaistow fire station were called to the scene at 9.15pm and spent around two hours tackling the flames.
The occupants of the property - which is divided into several separate unit - had left before they arrived.
One woman was treated for mild smoke inhalation.
Firefighters said the smoke alarms were not suitable and installed four new units.
Watch Manager Bob Green said: “Incidents like this demonstrate the importance of having suitable smoke alarms fitted.”
- 1 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 2 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 8 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
The cause of the fire is under investigation.