13th anniversary of fallen Pc is markered
Borough remembers Nina Mackay
FALLEN police officer Nina Mackay has been remembered with flowers laid in Stratford to mark the 13th anniversary of her death.
Pictured at her memorial at the housing block where she was stabbed were (left) Deputy Mayor Councillor Andrew Baikie and Newham Police’s Borough Commander Chief Supt Simon Letchford.
Pc Mackay, 25, suffered fatal stab injuries as she and other officers from the police’s Territorial Support Group went to arrest a wanted man at a flat in Arthingworth Street on October 24, 1997.
A road close to the scene in Arthingworth Street has been named Nina Mackay Close in her memory.
She is also remembered at the Metropolitan Police memorial garden in Hendon by a Valiant Heart rose named after her.
Cllr Baikie said: “Police officers put on their uniform every day and risk their lives to protect us. Some pay the ultimate price to ensure our safety. We must never forget their bravery and commitment.”
- 1 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 5 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 6 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 7 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Man found on fire in East Ham park dies
- 10 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
Mr Letchford said: “Nina was a remarkable young woman, open minded, vivacious and determined. Her loss demonstrates the unquestioned bravery and devotion which officers display every day in protecting the people of Newham.”
The officer’s killer – he admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility - was ordered to be kept at Rampton top security mental hospital under the Mental Health Act with no time limit.