10,000 plus apply for 750 John Lewis Westfield jobs
More than 10,000 job hunters have applied for 750 posts at the new John Lewis store opening in September.
The unprecedented response has been welcomed by the MD of John Lewis Stratford City who said it was flattering that so many people want to join them.
The department store, which together with the rest of Westfield Stratford City is due to open on September 13, launched its recruitment drive in March 2011 with a commitment to put local people first when it comes to hiring staff.
Noel Saunders, Managing Director of John Lewis Stratford City, said: “The number of applications is the most we have ever received for a shop opening and is on a par with the total number of people employed by John Lewis in London.
“The level of response has allowed us to fill many vacancies already but there are still some excellent positions left.”
He said he was building a top team at the store to deliver an outstanding customer experience and was excited to see this ambition being shared by people from the local area, London and further afield.
As part of its recruitment drive, John Lewis has offered 425 additional assessment centre places for long-term unemployed Newham residents who successfully passed either the two-week Retail Works Pre-employment programme or Hospitality Pre-employment programme run by Jobcentre plus.
- 1 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 2 We need a couple of bodies says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
- 3 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 6 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 7 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 8 Leyton Orient 'got away with one' at Crawley says Wellens
- 9 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 10 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
The full workforce is expected to be in place by the end of August although many roles will start sooner.