Youngest Olympic boxer Spinks honoured with new Canning Town space
- Credit: Archant
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales paid tribute to former Olympic boxer Terry Spinks by unveiling a community space named after him.
Terry, who died last year aged 74, became the youngest Briton to win a gold medal at the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne. He was 18.
Although he lived for many years in Chadwell Heath at the home of his cousin Rosemary Ellmore, Terry grew up in Canning Town.
To mark and celebrate his links with the area Newham Council unveiled a new community space, called Terry Spinks Place, situated between Rathbone Street Market in Barking Road and a new development area to the south of the Canning Town flyover.
Sir Robin said: “This is a proud moment, not only for the family and friends of Mr Spinks who join us today, but also for the borough of Newham and its residents past and present.
You may also want to watch:
“It is important that while we look to the future and the regeneration of our borough we must also remember our rich history and celebrate those whose contribution to the borough fosters both inspiration and pride.
“That is why I believe it is a fitting tribute to Mr Spinks that his name will adorn an area close to his former home that will be transformed into a thriving place to live with hundreds of new homes, shops and a market square.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 7 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 8 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 9 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
“Having Terry’s name displayed in his former home town will remind us all what can be achieved through aspiration and the support of your family, friends and neighbours. Terry Spinks showed us what true grit, determination and ambition can achieve. He is a great ambassador for Newham.”