Stratford royalty reunited with estranged family
Stratford princess Maria Sviatopolk-Mirski has returned from a festival held at her ancestral castle in Belarus where she was reunited with her royal cousins after 40 years.
Princess Maria is descended from a prince of the former Soviet Union and her family were the last to own 16th century Mir Castle, near Minsk.
She was invited to attend a festival honouring classical composer Nicolas Nabokov, along with her first cousin Princess Irene Furtwaengler, Nabokov’s niece.
Describing the moment when she met her estranged relative, Maria, of Victoria Street, said: “I did not realize that the Sviatopolk-Mirski family and the Nabokovs were so closely related.
“I said to Princess Irene, I call her Irenka, ‘I’m so happy to see you again after all this time,’ and all of us hugged and kissed each other.”
You may also want to watch:
Maria arrived at Mir Castle on Saturday August 27 for the three day festival where she was treated to a champagne reception, poetry readings, music concerts, interviewed by the Belarusian press and took a guided tour of the castle where she saw paintings of her ancestors.
Maria, 65, said: “Now I am taking a keen interest in Nabokov’s life and music so will try to get books on him which I know are available. It’s wonderful to have relatives who are so gifted and artistic.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 4 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 5 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 8 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 9 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
“This last visit to Belarus has opened up a new avenue for me. And of course, I shall keep in touch with my cousins in Germany which is where they now live.”