SS Robin set for new docking station in Royal Docks
A purpose-built welcome centre is likely to be installed for people visiting the SS Robin steamship in the Royal Docks.
The SS Robin trust which runs the historic vessel, has applied to Newham Council to house a ticket office inside the Connaught Tunnel Headhouse.
It would act as the first point of call for those stepping on board the SS Robin, which has been subject to a �1.9million restoration since returning to the area.
The structure was originally built more 130 years ago to hold a pumping shaft.
It was taken down brick-by brick by Crossrail engineers and was donated to the SS Robin Trust.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement submitted alongside the planning application, the trust said it will apply for it to be granted listed status.
“The future reuse of the Connaught Tunnel necessitated removing the Headhouse,” the statement read.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
“It was constructed to house a pumping shaft which extracted water that seeped into the railway tunnel below the water channel linking the Albert and Victoria docks to prevent it from flooding.
“Given its historic significance it is of real importance that it is rebuilt on the edge of the Royal Docks so that his historic connection can be maintained.”
The proposals also include moving SS Robin from its current position at the western end of the Royal Victoria Dock to a mooring dock to a new location close to the new Crystal centre.
The new application comes in response to a strategic plan for the area by the Royal Docks Management Authority.
The trust added: “The next and final stage, for which Heritage Lottery Funding has been awarded, will transform SS Robin into an innovative floating visitor attraction, cultural heritage site and centre for innovative and enterprise in London.”
A target date for a decision has been set for mid-December.