Queen’s Jubilee tribute on Stratford’s Greenway walk
The Duke of Gloucester paid a visit to Stratford last week to unveil a permanent Royal landmark for The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
A large impression of The Crown and E II R insignia has now been installed on the Greenway by the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) as part of a 60km London-wide walking and cycling route to honour the Queen’s 60-year reign. Lighting effects will run through a symbolic 60 second sequence, creating a shimmering effect at night.
The Duke said it is wonderful that the Diamond Jubilee and the London 2012 Games have come together to create a unique emblem on the edge of the Olympic Park that will be enjoyed by people for years to come.
In all 60 glass pavement markers make up the piece on the Greenway which the ODA has funded improvements of a 2.3km stretch linking the Olympic Park, which will become the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park after the Games, to Victoria Park and West Ham Station.
It will form part of the wider 60km long route that is marked out by around 500 square glass plaques along a new route that links central London Games venues with many of the Capital’s favourite parks, attractions, palaces and views.
You may also want to watch:
ODA Chief Executive Dennis Hone said: “It is a fitting tribute that this special Jubilee marker is placed on the outskirts of the Olympic Park as we look forward to an incredible summer, starting with the Diamond Jubilee and ending with the Games.
Chairman of the Jubilee Walkway Trust Hugo Vickers said the markers will be “a fabulous reminder of a year in which both The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the Games are celebrated.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 5 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 10 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff