Plans to open a new V&A collection and research centre in the Olympic Park have been confirmed
- Credit: Archant
Plans to create a new collection and research centre for the V&A in the Olympic Park have been signed off
The V&A museum will open archives to tech hub Here East, based in the building that was used by broadcasters during the Olympics.
The centre will be open for members of the public to students, school pupils, creatives, researchers and members of the public to use the museum’s archive resources.
Gavin Poole, CEO of Here East, said: “The V&A creating a new state of the art Collection and Research Centre at here East encapsulates the vision we have always had for the campus.
“By bringing together new technology, innovation, research and a world leading institution, the centre embodies the values that we hold and will bring an array of new opportunities to the community.
You may also want to watch:
“We have spent two years working with the team at the V&A to accomplish this and we are incredibly excited to see what the future holds.”
The centre will be designed by architecture firm Diller Scofidio and Renfro, who designed the famous New York High Line redevelopment of a disused railway line.
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 4 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 5 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 6 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 7 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 8 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
The V&A’s move to Here East follows the government’s 2015 decision to sell Blythe House in west London, which currently houses the museum’s archives.
Tim Reeve, deputy director of the V&A, said: “In June, the mayor of London outlined an ambitious vision for a cultural and education powerhouse in the Olympic Park, and our plans as part of this fantastic collaboration are now moving forward apace.
“The V&A East project will revolutionise how our world-class collections are accessed and open up opportunities for collaboration, learning and discovery in ways we have never been able to before.
“I am thrilled that we will now join Here East’s vibrant, future facing community of tenants and look forward to our Collection and Research Centre taking shape in such a fitting location.”
The V&A is also set to open a new museum in the Olympic Park as part of the £1.1 billion East Bank development announced by mayor of London Sadiq Khan in June.