On your marks: London Olympic schedule released
The London Olympic schedule is today released, revealing where our top sportsmen and women hope to win medals in the ‘Greatest Show on Earth’.
Though the spectacular opening ceremony at Stratford Olympic Stadium on July 27 kicks off the 19-day Games, the football tournament starts a few days earlier.
In all 26 sports will be contested over the Summer of 2011 and among the first will be the boxing and table tennis at ExCeL in the Royal Docks. The venue will also host fencing, judo and weightlifting among others.
around 8.8 million tickets will be available for the Olympics and a further two million for the Paralympics.
Applications for Olympic Games tickets will be accepted between March 15 and 26 April 26 this year. There is no advantage to submitting an application on the first day or the last day.
For sessions where demand exceeds supply, London 2012 will use an automated and random selection process.
Payment will be taken from all successful applicants between May 10 and June 10 2011, and people will be notified of any tickets they have been allocated by June 24.
- 1 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 2 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 5 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 6 Play gives young people insight on violence against women
- 7 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Harry Smith and Aaron Drinan forming a strong partnership for Leyton Orient
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns