Olympic VeloPark cycle blueprint is put forward
A new image of the outdoor cycling track to open after the Olympics has been published to coincide with submission of the official plans for the VeloPark.
Promoters say it will create of one of the best cycling facilities in Europe with its one-mile road circuit and about 8km of mountain bike trails around the spectacular Games velodrome and BMX track.
The road circuit will cross the River Lea twice and be surrounded in the south by wetlands, park spaces and towpaths for walkers and cyclists. The plans also create a new park for Hackney which can also host small-scale events.
The plans have been agreed by British Cycling, Sport England and Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, who will own and operate the Lee Valley VeloPark after the Games, while consulting with users including Eastway cyclists.
Andrew Altman, chief executive of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, said the facilities with the velodrome will create a complete cycling complex that will appeal to a wider range of riders and spectators.
You may also want to watch:
There will be new park space with waterways and open spaces for everyone to enjoy.
Ian Drake, chief executive of British Cycling, said: “We’re delighted to lend our support to the plans which, if passed, will provide a yet another fantastic facility for cyclists.”
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
The road cycle circuit, which replaces the old Eastway Cycle Circuit, features a series of loops to the west of the velodrome and a large single loop to the east of the venue.
The mountain bike trails form a loop which runs from the north-east corner of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, past the velodrome and heads north under the A12 to East Marsh. From there it runs eastwards through Eton Manor and then back under the A12.
The Planning Decisions Team at the Olympic Delivery Authority will undertake a statutory consultation on the application over the coming weeks.
* See the plans at www.london2012.com/planning