Olympic Park named project of the year at RICS London Awards
- Credit: Archant
The London 2012 Olympic Park has been crowned project of the year at the prestigious RICS London Awards.
Sixty-four of the capital’s most impressive property schemes battled it out at the Landmark Hotel in central London last week for this year’s top honours.
The annual contest celebrates inspirational initiatives in the land, property and construction sectors.
The title is presented to the scheme demonstrating overall outstanding best practice.
Ahead of construction 246 hectares of land were cleared from the Park. Cleaning and reusing the soil on site saved £68m compared to the cost of landfill.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman London Region Judges, Barry Woodman Frics, said: “London has many needs and the greatest right now is to ensure the regeneration of our Great City to be fit for the 21st Century - thus it is absolutely right that the London Grand Prize this year - the Best of the Best - goes to the Olympics Masterplan for the Urban Regeneration of the Olympic Park itself and the much wider consequent regeneration of the surrounding areas of East London.”
The Olympic Park fought off competition from projects such as Somerset House and the G.E. Fogg Building Queen Mary University.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks