Olympic Park coming together for summer sport spectacular
New bird’s eye views of the Olympic Park confirm everything is coming together at the Stratford site for next summer’s sporting extravaganza.
The latest aerial shots show the Olympic Park ‘big build’ programme is now over 90 per cent complete with the Olympic Delivery Authority on track to hand the site over to Games’ organisers LOCOG early next year.
Seb Coe, Chair of the London 2012 Organising Committee said: “A huge amount has been achieved over the past 12 months with iconic new venues completed and test events bringing world-class sport to the Olympic Park for the first time. We still have much to do but there is growing excitement as we count down to the Games next summer.”
ODA Chairman John Armitt said the near completion of the venues and infrastructure is all thanks to the expertise of the construction industry transforming a run-down area into the setting for the world’s greatest sporting event and creating new communities that will live and thrive long after the athletes have gone home.
He added: “The year drawing to a close was the ODA’s busiest, with the workforce peaking and the bulk of the project delivered - on time and within budget.
You may also want to watch:
“In 2012 we will complete our task,”
Highlights include: Construction of the Stadium completed in March 2011 and the running track unveiled in October and in July Gold medal hopeful Tom Daly making the first dive into the pool at the Aquatics Centre.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 4 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 9 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims