Next stage of Canning Town’s new Rathbone Market given planning approval
The second phase of Rathbone Market’s �180 million regeneration has been given the go-ahead.
Work on the 165 new homes - 42 of which are “affordable”, a new community centre, and a new market square will start by next Easter.
The plans were recommended for approval in June by Newham Council’s strategic development committee and signed off by planners at the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation.
“This approval really is fantastic news for Canning Town and Newham,” said Duncan Cumberland, from developers English Cities Fund.
“It is another big statement about the area’s ambitions and real push forward on delivering investment, regeneration, homes and jobs in this part of Newham.
You may also want to watch:
“It also means we can soon start work on a centrepiece landscaped market square and a new home for the historic Rathbone Market.”
Images have been released showing what the second phase will look like when completed. It comes after work on the first stage of the development was almost completed.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 8 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 9 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 10 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
Residents have started to move into the flagship Vermilion building. Most of the homes have been sold and many of the retail units have been put up for lease.
The total regeneration of Rathbone Market will include around 650 new homes, a remodelled entrance to the A13 underpass and new shops and cafes.
Mr Cumberland added: “The unique designs for Vermilion and phase two will help re-establish Rathbone Market as a shopping destination and will drive the much-needed regeneration of this area.”
Land will be cleared ready for construction by the end of the year.
Newham Cllr Conor McAuley said: “The Rathbone Market development is at the heart of the regeneration of Canning Town and Custom House.
“Anyone visiting Canning Town cannot fail to notice the changes being made with the towering Vermilion building already making an impact on the skyline.”