More than a hundred street parties for Queen’s Jubilee planned by Newham communities
Hundreds of residents will be dancing in Newham’s streets this summer if early registration figures for Diamond Jubilee and Olympic street parties are anything to go by.
So far, 128 people have registered an interest in holding a celebratory event to mark this historic year with 57 of these applying for an events pack to help them organise it.
With just over three months to go until the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in July, the figures look set to outstrip 2011’s celebrations for St George’s Day and the Royal Wedding.
Last year saw more than 100 street parties held in Newham, the second highest amount in the whole of London.
To make sure Newham is party central in 2012, the council are running a campaign called “Let’s Get the Party Started” to encourage residents to take the lead and organise their own events.
You may also want to watch:
A range of practical support and advice is available to assist those interested in hosting a street party or event.
Newham Council are offering Inspiring People grants between �250 and �500 to help financially along with free use of a council venue.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
An events toolkit booklet is available detailing everything you need to know about organising your event from road closures and licences to insurance and applying for funding.
A series of council-run advice sessions are also being organised and you will be able to enlist the help of Newham’s Volunteers network.
To register your interest in holding a party for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee or the Olympic Games, email firstname.lastname@example.org.