More than a hundred street parties for Queen’s Jubilee planned by Newham communities
Hundreds of residents will be dancing in Newham’s streets this summer if early registration figures for Diamond Jubilee and Olympic street parties are anything to go by.
So far, 128 people have registered an interest in holding a celebratory event to mark this historic year with 57 of these applying for an events pack to help them organise it.
With just over three months to go until the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in July, the figures look set to outstrip 2011’s celebrations for St George’s Day and the Royal Wedding.
Last year saw more than 100 street parties held in Newham, the second highest amount in the whole of London.
To make sure Newham is party central in 2012, the council are running a campaign called “Let’s Get the Party Started” to encourage residents to take the lead and organise their own events.
You may also want to watch:
A range of practical support and advice is available to assist those interested in hosting a street party or event.
Newham Council are offering Inspiring People grants between �250 and �500 to help financially along with free use of a council venue.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
An events toolkit booklet is available detailing everything you need to know about organising your event from road closures and licences to insurance and applying for funding.
A series of council-run advice sessions are also being organised and you will be able to enlist the help of Newham’s Volunteers network.
To register your interest in holding a party for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee or the Olympic Games, email email@example.com.