More than a hundred street parties for Queen’s Jubilee planned by Newham communities
Hundreds of residents will be dancing in Newham’s streets this summer if early registration figures for Diamond Jubilee and Olympic street parties are anything to go by.
So far, 128 people have registered an interest in holding a celebratory event to mark this historic year with 57 of these applying for an events pack to help them organise it.
With just over three months to go until the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in July, the figures look set to outstrip 2011’s celebrations for St George’s Day and the Royal Wedding.
Last year saw more than 100 street parties held in Newham, the second highest amount in the whole of London.
To make sure Newham is party central in 2012, the council are running a campaign called “Let’s Get the Party Started” to encourage residents to take the lead and organise their own events.
A range of practical support and advice is available to assist those interested in hosting a street party or event.
Newham Council are offering Inspiring People grants between �250 and �500 to help financially along with free use of a council venue.
- 1 West Ham United reveal Thames Ironworks-inspired third kit
- 2 West Ham United tie is big deal for Danes warns Reid
- 3 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 6 NewVIc’s SU President reflects on first year at college: 'It's amazing for those who want to be here!'
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
An events toolkit booklet is available detailing everything you need to know about organising your event from road closures and licences to insurance and applying for funding.
A series of council-run advice sessions are also being organised and you will be able to enlist the help of Newham’s Volunteers network.
To register your interest in holding a party for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee or the Olympic Games, email email@example.com.