London 2012 Olympics: First street decorations go up in Stratford
Stratford was the first place to hang up Olympic bunting this morning ahead of this summer’s Games.
The Grove, the first London high street to be decorated, showed it was the place to be as it was decked out in Olympic colours.
The Mayor of London’s director of Marketing and Communications Daniel Ritterband was on hand to help hang up the first line of bunting, and it is estimated that bunting equivalent in length to 2,000 Routmaster buses is going up soon across town centres, railway stations, and landmark locations.
Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: “With less than 50 days to go before the greatest show on earth I am delighted that London is getting spruced up to show why it’s the best city in the world in which to live, visit and invest.
“The Diamond Jubilee showed just how fantastic the city can look during a celebration and the Games will offer another superb opportunity to capture people’s imaginations and make them feel part of this once-in-a-lifetime event.”
Each London borough has been given �50,000 by the Mayor to decorate ahead of the Olympics and other features to expect include sculptures such as giant javelins “to inspire during the Games”, a giant tea-making machine in Victoria Park, Hackney, while at King’s Cross station, travellers will allow people to create sounds on a ‘Song Board’ of black and white spheres.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network