‘I also came from a slum’ – Custom House star Danny Dyer touched by Cromwell connection
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
EastEnders actor Danny Dyer has discovered he is directly descended from two kings of England.
The 39-year-old, who was raised in Custom House, also learned he was related to Renaissance politician and Henry VIII adviser Thomas Cromwell during an episode of BBC genealogy TV show Who Do You Think You Are? set to air later in the month.
The association with Cromwell – who grew up poor in the grim surroundings of 15th century Putney – affected the Football Factory star more than his blood ties with William the Conqueror and Edward III.
“He came from a slum, I come from a slum,” he told the Radio Times.
“Cromwell left the country at 14, I started acting at 14. He was a self-taught lawyer. I’m a self-taught actor.
You may also want to watch:
“Cromwell had two daughters and a son. I’ve got two daughters and a son. Cromwell wrote his last letter to Henry VIII begging for his life, on July 24, which is my birthday... And I drink in the Anne Boleyn pub.”
Cromwell was portrayed by Mr Dyer’s mentor, Mark Rylance, in a dramatic television portrayal of his life titled Wolf Hall.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 10 Charity provides free breakfasts for 561 vulnerable families over half term
Mr Dyer, who referred to himself as a “brilliant actor”, said he wept when he watched the series a second time after learning of his connection to Cromwell.
Commending the talent of the actor who plays Henry VIII in the drama, he said: “No one else can do what Damian Lewis does.”
But he added of himself: “No one can do Danny Dyer like I can do Danny Dyer.”
The episode of Who Do You Think You Are? will be on BBC One at 8pm on Thursday, November 24.