Homestead plans at Royal Docks get shot in arm
Notting Hill Housing has been chosen by the London Development Agency as its preferred developer for Gallions Quarter, a new mixed-use urban centre in the Albert Basin area of the Royal Docks.
Its proposals will deliver around 700 new homes, of which around 280 will be affordable, and 4,500 square metres of commercial space and community facilities. The whole scheme is expected to be complete by 2018.
Notting Hill Housing has assembled a strong design team including Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, Maccreanor Lavington and MUF art and architecture, and is leading a consortium to complete the development with United House, Durkan and Galliford Try.
The team’s proposals will deliver a scheme with a strong sense of character, referencing the historic importance of the Docks, with bold design to the highest architectural standards.
Notting Hill Housing has said it plans to work closely with the current local communities at Beckton and Woolwich so that they benefit from thoughtful and creative new public spaces and useful community and retail facilities,. It expects the formation of a hub of a new local centre around the Gallions Reach DLR station.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Kennard, LDA Director of Development, said: “Our vision for the Royal Docks is a place with vibrant communities with high quality homes and lasting employment. As part of that vision, we want to can create a new sustainable community in Gallions Quarter and Notting Hill Housing Trust’s proposals will do just that - build new homes, new business space and community facilities, all to high quality design standards, helping to create a lasting legacy in the Albert Basin.”
John Hughes, Notting Hill Housing Trust Group Director of Development, said: “Our team is delighted to have been chosen for this exciting opportunity. Notting Hill Housing and our partners share the LDA’s vision for the Royal Docks which is a unique and stunning location in London. We will create an environment with a strong sense of character inspired by the historic importance of the Docks and the communities who lived and worked here.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 4 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 5 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
The Gallions Quarter site sits within the Albert Basin area at the eastern end of the Royal Docks where the LDA is the major landowner. A masterplan for the area proposes a combination of medium-density residential development, complemented by activity-generating uses.