First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 2 Donor appeal as East Ham man needs second kidney transplant
- 3 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 4 Flat above garage damaged in Manor Park fire
- 5 PSPOs approved by councillors to tackle alcohol and dog nuisance
- 6 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Councils with low Covid vaccine rates given funds to help people get jabbed
- 9 Trial date set for policeman accused of causing pensioner's death
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021