English Defence League march through Newham is banned
A march planned by the English Defence League to march through five London boroughs including Newham were last night blocked by the home secretary, Theresa May.
The group wanted to demonstrate in Tower Hamlets, Newham, Waltham Forest, Islington and Hackney next Saturday September 3.
The Metropolitan Police feared there could be violence and disorder if the march went ahead.
Mrs May said such rallies would be banned for 30 days to reflect the need to protect “communities and property”.
Stephen Lennon, league’s founder, said his organisation would “still show up” in Tower Hamlets..
You may also want to watch:
A statement on the EDL’s website said the decision was “restricting our democratic right to peaceful protest”.
“Nowadays, the anti-extremism aims of our organisation are clear, and there is no reason to think that an EDL demonstration would contain any dangerous elements,” it added.
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum
Mrs May said in a statement: “Having carefully considered the legal tests in the Public Order Act and balanced rights to protest against the need to ensure local communities and property are protected, I have given my consent to a ban on all marches in Tower Hamlets and four neighbouring boroughs for a 30-day period.”
She added: “I know that the Metropolitan Police are committed to using their powers to ensure communities and properties are protected,” she added.
The Met said it had received “specific intelligence” which led it to believe that “serious public disorder, violence and damage could be caused by the presence of marches in these areas”.
Banning the rallies was “this is the best option to prevent this”, it added.