Dance celebs Len Goodman and Arlene Phillips support health message
They seem to be playing it strictly for giggles. But behind the laughs TV dance judges Len Goodman and Arlene Phillips had a message to the older generation... Get active to get healthy.
The veteran dance celebs joined forces with NHS London and GlaxoSmithKline to launch a campaign encouraging over 55s with long-term health conditions to lead a more active lifestyle. Though the group are putting the younger generation to shame when it comes to leading an active lifestyle, long-term health conditions are holding many back, according to a poll. In an average week, they spend 726 minutes doing some form of activity compared with 698 minutes by 18-25 year olds.
However, almost a third of respondents felt that long-term health conditions were a barrier to staying active. Walking, housework and gardening were the most popular activities.
The Your Personal Best, launched at the View Tube in the shadow of the Olympic Stadium, is a national campaign to inspire the 7.78 million over 55s with long- term conditions.
Dr William Bird, a GP and NHS London consultant, said: “Keeping active can make a significant difference to your health and wellbeing”.
You may also want to watch:
Arlene said: “I’m really passionate about encouraging people aged over 55 to stay more active. My first love is obviously dancing but it could be anything – gardening, playing with your grandchildren or doing house work. The key thing is to just stay active in some way and Your Personal Best will help you to do this.” See www.yourpersonalbestcam aign.co.uk
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham