Col Dudding steps down as Representative Deputy Lieutenant for Newham
After almost 19 years Colonel Mike Dudding has stepped down from the role of Representative Deputy Lieutenant.
It has made his a familiar figure at a variety of high profile events in Newham.
Col Dudding OBE stood down from the post on September 12 but the occasion was marked with a presentation held at the Old Town Hall in Stratford last Tuesday (Sep 25).
It was attended by councillors past and present and Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales who presented him with a pair of silver cufflinks and his wife Jan with flowers.
Col Dudding said: “I would like to thank all those in the borough who have made it such an enjoyable appointment. Much has changed during this period and I am proud to have been associated with this exciting borough.
You may also want to watch:
“Although I live in the borough of Lambeth, I shall retain links with Newham as an Honorary Freeman of the Borough and as Vice-President of the Newham Mayors Association.”
Although his most visible role has been to receive The Queen and other members of the Royal Family when they visit the borough, Col Dudding has also been busy fostering support for the Armed Forces and Cadets. With the latter, he has seen the growth of the cadets from just two units to six so that the borough now has units per service.
- 1 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 2 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 3 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 4 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 5 Three teenagers arrested after boy, 16, found stabbed in East Village
- 6 Why musician swapped working with pop stars to teaching Newham pupils
- 7 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 8 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 9 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
He has also been involved with the annual Jack Cornwell parade staged by the Manor Park branch of the Royal British Legion.
Col Dudding said he was particularly pleased that G Company, 7th Battalion The Rifles of the Territorial Army had received the Freedom of the Borough recently.
He was appointed Representative Deputy Lieutenant for Newham in 1993 and made an Honorary Freeman of the Borough in 2000. The post carries no pay, nor does it provide for any incurred expenses.
That did not deter Col Mike accepted the post as he thought he could achieve something in the borough.
Col Dudding served in the British Army from 1956 until 1974 when he left to take up work in the Civil Service. He also served in the Territorial Army in The Queen’s Regiment from 1974 to 1989.
His post will now be taken up by John Barber.